Monday, April 13, 2015

Edible Oatmeal Play Dough - Easter Play

Edible Oatmeal Play dough.... Take 1!

We made our first match of edible play dough using the oatmeal play dough recipe from Glued To My Crafts, except I substituted baby Gerber oatmeal instead of regular oatmeal.  Little Guy loved using the measuring cups to add the dry ingredients and the whisk to mix them up.  I think he would have been happy just playing with that for a while!
After I added the water,  It felt very sticky so I kept adding flour until it had a better consistency.  Honestly,  I added so much flour that you couldn't really feel the oatmeal texture anymore.  It kind of defeated the purpose of using the baby oatmeal but if you have extra oatmeal,  this is a great way to use it up!

For an Easter extension, I added a few drops of yellow food coloring (and more flour), to give our dough a fun color, and provided Little Guy with some Easter theme cookie cutters to experiment with.   When one of the cutters got stuck in the dough,  he used a play dough tool shape like a spatula to pry it out,  without any prompts from me.  I was so impressed!

 I also gave Little Guy some plastic Easter eggs.  He used them as cookie cutters at first and then decided to fill them with the dough.
The dough lasted about a week stored in an air tight container in the fridge.  It actually had a better texture after it was chilled and wasn't so sticky.

Do you have any favorite "edible" sensory activities for us to try?   Leave me a comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment